"He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha Koum,' which means, 'Little girl, arise.'"

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Uncovered


Brace yourself, this is about to be awkward (you're welcome)...

I heard yet another hilarious story this week about my 4 year old nephew Jaden.  He was (supposed to be) taking a nap, when my sister went in to check on him.  Did she find him sleeping sound, snuggled up in his big-boy bed?  Of course not.  Instead, she walked in to find Jaden, buck naked, riding an enormous stuffed lion on top of his bed...like a cowboy.  Ahh, good innocent fun for the toddler.

I was retelling this story to my friend Becky, and I was struck with a thought I probably should've kept to myself...but, being the Queen of Awkward, I carried on :)  "What it is that makes kids love playing around naked so much?  I mean, I highly doubt you're ever going to walk in on an adult doing this...riding a stuffed animal while naked.  What if we did this just because we felt like it, too?  What's the difference between them and us?"

Becky's reply?  "I was naked, so I hid."

My reply? "Uh huh huh huh huh huhhhhhh...." 

Sucker-punch, Szaro.

I know this.  I've heard it a million times - the image of nakedness in the garden of Eden; of innocence lost, of shame and guilt entering the door of our souls through sin.  I get it; at least, I mentally get it.  But I guess I'm still finding daily that I have to ask God to restore me, again, today...and then again, tomorrow...and again, the next day.  I'm finding that each day something within me feels the need to retreat, to run and hide from Him among the trees so that the worst of me will not be seen.  But still, He calls me; He dares me to trust Him with it all - to come, uncovered before the One with whom I am always safe. 

I love the story of David in 2 Samuel 6 when he dances through the streets in praise.  The writer mentions that he stripped off his outer garment, which in a sense, means the psalmist got naked.  I know, we can't all just strip down and call it worship every day.  This would be quite distracting, of course, and in many cases, very, very disturbing.  And I'm probably not going to be endorsing nude devos any time soon, but there is still that part of me that wants to be more like Jaden.  I want to be like that little boy who playfully and innocently strips off anything that gets in the way of his joy. 

So tonight, maybe because I'm awkward...or maybe because I'm childlike?...I'm praying that God grant me the heart of this little naked cowboy, that I would approach Him with raw authenticity, with playful affection, and naked honesty. 

Ride on Little J :)

No comments:

Post a Comment