"He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha Koum,' which means, 'Little girl, arise.'"

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Lessons From Rehab #13: Don't Lose Your Love

"I'm a lover, Dottie, not a fighter."
 - Pee Wee Herman

To this day I have no idea how I watched Pee Wee Herman as a child without getting creeped out, but somehow I loved that dude and his baby blue suit and red bow tie.  Don't even ask how many times I watched Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Big-Top Pee-Wee over and over at Grandma's house.  The more I've grown, the more I've tried to block that whole thing out, but there is one quote I've always remembered from Mr. Herman's big screen debut: "I'm a lover, Dottie, not a fighter."  

I really don't know where that phrase originated: I'm a lover, not a fighter.  But somehow it has made its way into popular culture for generations, and somewhere along the road of life we unwittingly decide to be one or the other, too.  

Lovers or Fighters.

When I read Scripture, though, I find an image of God that is a little bit broader than that.  Ok, a lot broader than that.  God is not a Lover or a Fighter.  He is a Lover AND a Fighter.  Since we have been created in the image of God, we have been created to be both, too.  

Lovers and fighters.

Through life, it's inevitable: there are battles to fight - loads of them.  But if we approach as nothing but fighters, eventually our "fight" grows weary, and there has to be something more to sustain it.  

Not just will power.  

Not just purpose.  

Not just prizes...  

Love.

Ask any enduring soldier and I'm confident he or she will tell you; it is not medals or missions that drive the heart of the warrior.  It is love.  Whether for one's spouse, children, family, nation or freedom itself, love not only drives, but sustains the warrior when he grows weary in his fight.  

The New Testament writer Matthew records a conversation between Jesus and some of his followers.  He warned them that many who were standing strong in the fight of faith would grow weary and drift away; they would abandon the fight.  I read this and wonder "Why?  How?  How can those who were so passionate one day be so passive the next?  How could they just give up on something they were once willing to stake their lives upon?"  Jesus answers with this:

"...the love of many will grow cold, but the one who endures to the end will be saved."*

"The love of many will grow cold..."  The Greek wording originally used here means to "wax cold," like candle wax slowly dripping away from the flame.  If the wax holds steady, staying close to the flame, it remains hot.  But if it slowly drips away from the flame, it cools and hardens (I know, I'm brilliant).  This is how it is with love.  If we hold steady, staying close to the flame of His love (God doesn't have or feel love, He IS Love - 1 John 4:8), then we too remain in love.  But as we slowly drift away from Him, our love cools, hardens, and as our love diminishes our fight does, too.  

As you "fight the good fight of faith" today, be careful not to lose your love.  I know that life gets overwhelming and keeping your head up to fight that good fight each day can get weary - really, really weary - but stay close to the God who is love and He will fill you with His love to sustain you in the fight.  Whatever your mission or goal, as you fight and keep fighting, remember this:

Not for power.

Not for purpose.

Not for prizes.

Not for pride or privilege or praise.

For Love.


*Matthew 24:9-13
 

No comments:

Post a Comment