"He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha Koum,' which means, 'Little girl, arise.'"

Friday, May 20, 2011

If Jesus Doesn't Come Tomorrow

Unexpectedly scribbling this morning, but here goes...  

I don't know what the rapture or end times will (does?) look like.  I don't know when's or how's or any other concrete details of the coming of Christ.  I don't know about being "here" or "there."  I don't have major opinions to argue over Pre-Trib, Post-Trib or No-Trib.  I could really care less if someone says Jesus is coming tomorrow, and He doesn't.  

What I could care about is this: He Is.  

He is here, even now, and I enjoy Him, I love Him, I want Him in His entirety every moment of every day.  I do not want Him as an escape.  I do not love Him in waves.  I do not take lightly His words.

There have always been people saying "This is the day," or "This is the time of His coming."  Obviously so far, wrong.  What makes my heart heavy today is shockingly less over the ones claiming to know the day or the hour, and more over the "lovers of God" who join in the mockery and cynicism of an atheist's heart.

The atheist says in his HEART there is no God.  When chiming in with tweets and statuses joking at the coming of Christ on May 21st, the believer himself aligns with the heart that jests, "There is no God."  Maybe instead of the mockery and cynicism, we can say with Paul: 

"Do not despise prophecies, but test everything;  hold fast to what is good."  

We are really, really good at despising prophecies - whether true or false.  Paul says to test them - i.e., wait and see what happens, and if they're wrong, they're wrong.  Get over it, move on.  Instead of dwelling on right or wrong prophecies of men, "hold fast to what is good."  

What is good today?  "He Is."

Maybe Jesus is coming tomorrow.  Maybe He's not.  But one thing I know for sure: He Is.

To those who love Him, consider whether your words and attitudes on this weekend reflect love, joy and commitment to Jesus, or love, joy, and commitment to this world.  As silly as you may think it is that someone is pronouncing doomsday (and trust me, I have been encountered in a parking lot by one of these individuals - I understand the discomfort and frustration), consider who is really demeaned when comments, statuses and tweets inadvertently make a joke of the coming of Christ.  

Perhaps our spiritual jest is one of the Adversary's very clever "Screwtape Letters"* - using the "friendly fire" of believers to harden the hearts of those who have yet to know Him.  When an atheist makes a joke of the coming of Christ, the world understands.  When a Christian makes a joke of the coming of Christ, the world wonders, "I thought they wanted Him to come."    

If Jesus doesn't come tomorrow, maybe instead of making mockeries of one of a million false prophecies, we can instead turn sleepy eyes upon Jesus.  Maybe we don't have to expend our energy joking so much.  Maybe we can reveal just who this Christ is that makes us so anxious for His return.  Maybe hearts are hungry to hear about that.


*Another shameless plug that if you haven't read CS Lewis' Screwtape Letters, you should :)

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't realized how uncomfortable all these "tweets" were making me until I read this. Thank you for speaking the truth. "He is"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, Tara...I couldn't have said it any better. The #1 thought that went through my head was, "Aren't all christians supposed to be thinking/living/dwelling as if everyday could be their last anyway?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've shared this with multiple people because think that it is well said and a good reminder of how we should be thinking, and where our hearts should be.
    "Maybe Jesus is coming tomorrow. Maybe He's not. But one thing I know for sure: He Is."

    So good, Tara. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Challenging thoughts Tara. I've been pondering them for the last few days. I actually end up blogging about your blog (sort of). When does humor cross the line?

    http://beyondtherisk.com/2011/05/26/when-funny-isnt-funny-or-how-i-nearly-started-an-international-incident/

    Thanks for stirring the dialog.

    ReplyDelete