"He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha Koum,' which means, 'Little girl, arise.'"

Monday, January 9, 2012

Lessons From Rehab #2: KNOW YOUR ALLIES

"Joab said, 'If the Syrians are too strong for me, then you shall help me.  But if the Ammonites are too strong for you, then I will help you.  Be strong, and let us use our strength for our people and for the cities of our God, and may the Lord do what seems good to Him."  (1 Chronicles 19:12-13)

KNOW YOUR ALLIES:

Just as it is important for us to "know our enemies" in life, it is equally as important to know our allies.  These are our lifelines - those people, places, things, songs, verses, etc. that have a sort of saving grace to them when we feel like we are slipping.  The thing about allies is that you have to make them and you have to use them in order for them to be of any benefit.  You have to build some sort of relationship through which you can reach out and ask for help.  Sometimes we are just sitting around waiting for others to come "find" us and "fix" us when we're struggling, but in reality, we have to learn the humility to speak up, reach out and ask for help.   

These allies may be people in your life that are a source of restoration to you.  For instance, I have a certain group of girl friends (scattered all around the U.S., nonetheless) that have become more than friends, but sisters to me.  In fact, I like to call them my "Drinking Buddies," not because we go out getting wasted all the time, but because when God pours a certain "cup" for me to drink in life, these are the ones that will make sure I'm not drinking alone.  Whether in sorrow or in joy, I know I'm not alone.  

When stuck in a rut after months of heartbreak, one of these girls started trying to teach me how to dance (hip hop) just because she knew it would make me laugh (it did)...LIFELINE.  

When I'm about to make a really stupid decision, or my heart is "running away with me" and leaving my head in the dust, another of these friends has the gift of "talking me down from the ledge."  She helps me to think through what is the wise thing to do, what is the right thing at the right time in the right way...LIFELINE.  

Every one of these girls have a special way of telling me the truth (like it or not); of reminding me who I am, what I am capable of, what GOD is capable of and all the good that life still holds for me...LIFELINES.

In too many ways to count, they are a "saving grace" to me, from the Master Himself.  We need people we can call and be honest with; those people to whom we can admit:

I'm losing it.

I want to cut myself.

I got drunk again this morning.

I went too far on my date last night.

I cannot stop looking at these websites.

My parents are talking about a getting a divorce.

I don't know where my life is going, and I'm feeling hopeless.


Whatever your "enemy" is, remember that you also have allies.  Consider that "Allies" can be:


1. People - "Drinking Buddies" :)

2. Places - literally, "safe places," where you can not only "escape," but find rejuvenation.  (Church, coffee shops, bookstores, the gym, parks, nature trails, the beach, favorite spots that have a restorative nature for you).

3. Songs - We all have them: "Oh, this is my song!"  Music can be an ally in that it fills us with hope, strength and the ability to endure when we feel weak.  Whether individual songs or kick-butt playlists, fill your heart, mind and spirit with strength.  Make an ally of your itunes.

4. Scriptures - "The Word of God is living and active."  It really is!  Whether you love reading the Bible for hours or finding one verse in a few minutes, you WILL find an ally in the Word of God... IF you read it.  Scripture is full of the best EVER pep-talks, locker room speeches, words of comfort, truth, correction, hope and LIFE.  READ IT.

5. Spiritual Disciplines - Sabbath, Silence, Rest, Prayer, Worship, Fasting, Scripture Reading... these all have a redemptive and restorative power in our lives.  Spiritual disciplines are not your enemy, they are your ally.  This is not a "should" issue, it's a "life" issue.  It's not that you "should" do these things, but that if you do them, you will find strength, truth and life.  

6. SAVIOR...

The greatest Ally of all is God Himself.  So often when we're struggling, we feel like God is suddenly against us, opposed to us.  This is called "the wages of sin."  Sin tells us that we don't belong with God.  Salvation tells us, "Yes you do."  So a Savior set out to make a way for us when we were separated.  He took care of it; "it is finished."  When the wages of sin (weakness, failure, struggles) tell you that you don't belong with God, or that you have to "fix" yourself before returning to Him, remember again that, "while we were STILL sinners, Christ died for us."  Greatest Ally EVER.  We messed up, and He said, "I've got this."  Do not allow yourself to be deceived into thinking that because you are less than perfect, you don't belong with Him.  It is BECAUSE you are less than perfect that He came for you.

HE CAME FOR YOU... 

LIFELINE.

Today if you need the strength of an Ally, find John 14-17 and read it... best pep talk from Jesus in the whole Bible.  Read it and re-read it.  Then remember that God is for you and not against you.  Remember it:


GOD IS FOR YOU AND NOT AGAINST YOU.

He is your Ally, not your enemy.


Today, if you feel like you are sinking: speak up, reach out and ask for help.  You are not alone...


"Who rises up for me against the wicked?
Who stands up for me against evildoers?
If the Lord had not been my help, my soul would have lived in the land of silence.
When I thought, 'My foot slips,' Your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.
When the cares of my heart are many, Your consolations cheer my soul."
- Psalm 94:16-19

No comments:

Post a Comment