"He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha Koum,' which means, 'Little girl, arise.'"

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Lessons From Rehab #8: DON'T PRETEND; INSTEAD, PRESENT

What was the first question God ever asked in the Bible?

"Where are you?"*

When Adam and Eve had sinned, or failed, their initial reaction was to go into hiding.  BUT GOD... God set out to look for them, to find them and to make a way to redeem them.  In their hiding, God called out, "Where are you?"  He did not harshly grouch, "Adam!  Where are you supposed to be?"  He simply asked:

"Where are you?"

In essence, God, who sees and knows all, was asking Adam to allow himself to be found.  God would not impose His presence, help, grace or even salvation on Adam.  God was ready and willing to meet Adam in the middle of his failure, right where he was at, but Adam had to present himself first in order to be found.

When we struggle, we too often go into hiding.  We may literally, physically hide ourselves from others (not going out anymore, not returning calls, stop going to church, etc.), or we might also tend to hide ourselves beneath various facades of our own making.  We learn to mask, to perform; we learn to pretend.  

Pretend I don't hurt.

Pretend I don't struggle.

Pretend I believe, when really I'm barely holding onto my faith.

Pretend I agree.

Pretend I'm fine.

Pretend I'm not slipping.

Pretend,

Pretend,

Pretend.

What God revealed in Genesis 3 is that He has no interest in performances or pretense.  He has an interest in people, and He wants to know you as you are, not as you should be.  Today, if you are struggling to live up to all you feel like are you "supposed to be," if you are hiding or pretending in some way, hear the gentle voice of the Father whispering your name and asking, "Where are you?"

Come as you are; 

PRESENT, don't pretend.    

He'll meet you there,

So let yourself be found.



*Genesis 3:9

4 comments:

  1. You would think... that the son of a pastor, police officer, husband, father, athlete would have it all together... but I am hurting. I am struggling. I often find myself barely holding on to my faith. I am not fine. I am slipping. There is no pretending. I am totally and completely present [naked] before my God. He must meet me where I am. For there is no other way. I know that He has. I know that He will. Here I am. Find me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all I can say is... me too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

    21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

    (NOW HERE'S THE BEST PART...)

    24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?

    25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Romans 7:15-25)... yeah... me too.

    ReplyDelete