"He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha Koum,' which means, 'Little girl, arise.'"

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lessons From Rehab #7: MAKE PEACE WITH THE PROCESS

"Oh my gosh, I can't do this!!  It's just too much!"  So I thought as I perused my mounds of assignments, reading, work, commitments and personal goals for... nope, not this year... for this week.  I couldn't even bring myself to look beyond this week on my calendar, because this week's work alone felt like a tidal wave of papers, appointments, papers, appointments, papers, appointments... and I JUST got started.  This is only the beginning of a whole fresh season of school, new work and personal growth.  I keep finding myself at these bottom-of-the-barrel moments where I'm feeling really, really low and really, really weak, and all I'm pouting is, "Oh my gosh, I can't do this."

Just a few days ago, I championed the phrase: "You CAN and you WILL."  Do I still believe this?  Sure, I still believe this.  (Can you feel the enthusiasm?)  But I do - yeah, I do.  I still believe this.  Yes, I can, and yes, I will.  The "Oh my gosh, I can'ts" kick in when I go past thinking can and will to... how?

HOW am I going to do all of this?  HOW am I going to get 14 chapters of textbook reading accomplished in one week, combined with two papers, commitments, a job, and oh yeah - there's that little matter of personal care.  When am I going to have time to take a shower?!  Ok, I might be overreacting (but seriously...it's cutting close).  

Tonight, I finished reading a textbook chapter (that took me FOR-EVERRRR), took a deep breath and appreciated a little reminder from childhood: "Little by little; inch by inch, it's a cinch."  I'm not exactly sold yet on the "cinch" part, but, (sigh... breathe...) there is truth to this.  

So here I am staring at this mound of goals, dreams and "To-Do's," and I'm reminded to make peace with the process.  Yes, I can, and yes, I will accomplish these things... in due season.  I will not graduate tonight after reading this stinking long chapter.  One project down, and another up next - it's true.  But one thing at a time; one day at a time, one step at a time, the mound becomes a lot less intimidating when I learn to take it in moments.  

Honestly?  I'm not really feeling this right now.  Right now I still feel the "Oh my gosh, I can't do this" (like, it's literally, physically not possible), but in reality, I can and I will, and how?  By taking one thing at a time, one day at a time, one step, one moment at a time.  In time, I will reach the end result, and in the meantime, I will grow in strength and character along the way - IF I make peace with the process.

MAKE PEACE WITH THE PROCESS.

God affirms this principle all over Scripture, but two of my favorite spots for this are found in the Old Testament when the people of Israel are leaving their slavery in Egypt and moving toward their Promised Land.  They had a dream: a land flowing with milk and honey.  A place of rest and enjoyment for all their years of hard work.  But it doesn't come when they thought or how they thought it would come.  Instead, God tells them:

"I will not drive them out before you in one year, lest the land become desolate and the wild beasts multiply against you.  Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased and possessed the land." (Exodus 23:29)

And again several years later...

"The Lord your God will clear away these nations before you little by little.  You may not make an end of them at once, lest the wild beasts grow too numerous for you."  (Deuteronomy 7:22)

"Little by little."  There is wisdom in this.  There is grace in this.  There is protection and purpose in this. In the meantime of the process, it is possible that you grow into the sort of person that can contain the blessing ahead without being destroyed by it... little by little.  

Today, if you're struggling to make it to February (heck, if you're struggling to make it to tomorrow), be where you are, fully present, today.  Give yourself entirely to the right thing at the right time, and little by little you'll get there - you'll get to the Promised Land - to your goal, your dream, your reward - you'll get there.  Make peace with the process today, and don't forget to enjoy the ride.  

3 comments:

  1. WOW... your busy schedule is just STARTING to make you sound like a working parent of two under two! Just kidding [kindof]...

    As the Navy Seals say... have micro goals and keep breaking those goals down to the inth degree. That is how the most elite warriors in the history of the world survive impossible odds.

    Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something is wrong with this thing... it keeps doing that! sorry... decifer it. i cant type it again... i have to change a diaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx, I got it ... you're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete