"He took her by the hand and said to her, 'Talitha Koum,' which means, 'Little girl, arise.'"

Friday, January 13, 2012

Lessons From Rehab #5: TURN ATTACK INTO AWAKENING

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant 
and fill him with terrible resolve."
- Isoroku Yamamoto

Today I feel like quitting.  I've just gotten started, and I already want to give up.  I've got some big resolutions for this new year.  Not resolutions for the sake of "New Year Resolutions," but for the sake of LIFE - for progress, growth, health and joy.  Steps I need to take, challenges I need to embrace; battles to fight and mountains to climb.  I JUST started my Masters degree this week (full-time, on campus).  In addition, I have to get a new job - which sort of leaves me looking forward to a new arena for growth, but also hesitant about the "unknown" of a new work place after so many years with a staff and students that I LOVED at my prior job.  I'm working hard and staying focused to build new, healthier habits into my life and remain consistent in them.  I have been strong, and I have been excited.  It's a new season, it's a new day...

But today I feel weak.

Today I feel like crying.

Today, when I look at that mountain of "To Do's" in front of me, I feel small...

Really, REALLY small.

Already I hear the slightest whisper of "I can't do this," beginning to creep up within.  Oh, how often we are our own worst enemies.  Nothing bad has happened; I have not even begun to have homework, other than some reading to do.  And I already feel like "I can't" do this?  I KNOW that I can do this, and I know that I want to do this.  So what am I feeling here and why?

At the risk of sounding SUPER spiritual here, I'm going to go ahead and label this feeling "Attack."  If you're picturing a little devil with horns on his head, just slow down for a minute.  Sure, attack in our lives may be the work of the enemy.  But other times, we simply suffer the all-too-common attacks of our own emotions, insecurities, worries and fears.  For now, I'd say I'm just beginning to face the attack of the "heebie-geebies" myself.  Yup, FEAR.  Fear of failure.  Fear of changing my identity.  Fear of giving a lot and gaining little in return.  Fear of not seeing results fast enough.  Fear of not seeing results at all.  Fear of waiting.  Fear of trying.  Fear of effort.  Fear of stress.  Fear of sacrifice.  Fear of unhappiness.

Fear, fear, fear, fear, fear.

How often do we find ourselves quitting before we even get going, all because of some sort of "attack" that we allowed to intimidate us toward defeat?  What I will challenge you with today is a challenge for myself: WHEN attack comes, turn attack into awakening.  Make it work for you and not against you.  Here's an example:

On December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor was bombed by the Japanese, and why?  Because America had not yet begun to fight, and the Japanese military wanted to ensure that wouldn't change.  Pearl Harbor was intended to be a preventive measure, intimidating the U.S. to stay out of World War II.  "Don't get involved.  You will fail.  You will sacrifice only to suffer.  You will give much and you will lose.  The cost is not worth the fight.  Stay passive.  Keep out."  But history tells us that the bombing of Pearl Harbor had quite the opposite effect.  While the U.S. had "kept out" of the war to this point, Pearl Harbor's attack only served to incite the sleepy nation to rise, fight and win.  After the attack on December 7th, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto of the Japanese naval fleet is quoted as saying:

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with terrible resolve."  

And that's exactly what happened.  So WHEN attack comes, what will you do with it?  WHEN you feel like quitting, WHEN your mind plays tricks on you and your emotions are taking over, how will you respond?  Will you find a cozy corner in life to hide away in safety?  Or will you embrace the risk, rise to the challenge, move forward with resolve and overcome?  

Today after a job interview (which went very well even), I drove home with a knot in my throat and whispered out loud, "I can't do this."  Thankfully, quickly I remembered this principle: TURN ATTACK INTO AWAKENING.  Then, since I needed a good pep-talk, and no one was around to give me one, I spoke back to myself with resolve: "You CAN and you WILL."  

I CAN and I WILL.

I CAN do all things through CHRIST who gives me strength.

I WILL look in triumph on my enemies.

Jesus said in John 14:29, "I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place, you may believe."  Maybe you feel strong today.  But attack will come.  It WILL come.  So expect it.  Be ready for it.  Do not be deceived or intimidated by it.  REMAIN in Christ who gives you strength and RESOLVE to win, to conquer, to FINISH STRONG.  

By His grace, You CAN and you WILL... 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lieutenant Commander, Dudley "Mush" Morton, U.S. Navy 1907-1943

    Quote: “Tenacity, Dick, stay with the bast*rd ‘til he's on the bottom.” --Mush Morton to fellow sub commander Dick O'Kane.

    You stay with all that you have stepped forward to accomplish, until each and every height has become your footstool. God will be your strength. He will be your rest.

    -G

    ReplyDelete